Changes to EU driving rules from 20 August 2020
EU drivers’ hours and tachograph rules will change on 20th August.
The new rules will include:
- a requirement for drivers’ to ‘return home’ every 4 weeks
- a ban on taking regular weekly rest periods in the driver’s vehicle
- a new definition of ‘non-commercial carriage’
- more flexibility on the scheduling of the rest periods for some drivers on international carriage of goods
- new provisions for rests and breaks for drivers when journeys involve transport by ferry or by rail
- a new requirement to keep a full record of all other work.
Operators and drivers should review the changes to the EU driving rules and prepare to follow them.